Thursday, December 4, 2008

Room Temperature or Freezer....don't refrigerate your bread!

My friend, Chris Jeffreys, came to visit and brought a book to me. It is titled: Home Comforts....the Art and Science of Keeping House. I've been married for almost 31 years....I wish I'd read this book earlier. Here's a tip I just learned about keeping bread fresh. "Bread becomes stale quickly at temperatures just above freezing and extremely slowly at temperatures just below freezing. So while freezing is a good way to keep bread fresh, refrigerating isn't. One investigation showed that at a refrigerated temperature of 46 degrees bread stales as much in one day as it would in six days at 86 degrees F. Moreover, the faster the bread is frozen, the less time it spends in the temperature near and above 32 degrees F and the less readily it goes stale." SO, you should either store your bread at room temperature or freeze it as quickly as you can....don't refrigerate your bread!

1 comment:

Brandy said...

I have that book too and i love it! I read about half of it before I had kids and now I can't seem to find the time to get to that one. If I did read it I don't think I would be able to iron all the sheets and things like that. So, other books are higher up on my reading list. But, it love it as a reference and will someday finish it. Thanks for the bread tip.